Thursday, February 2, 2012

An Assignment

I despise being assigned homework. The irony that drips from that statement is too much, I know... a teacher who hates doing homework, but it is true. So when I was assigned homework by my daughter's teacher, in all honesty, I was less than thrilled. In perfect six year old pitch, she nagged me about it all week. And, of course, I waited until the last minute to complete it. 

My daughter was the "Can Do Kid" of the week. She had many things to do while being showcased for the entire week. My assignment was to write something about my daughter that the teacher could read to the class. Below is my assignment. Feel free to give me a grade.

Dear First Graders,                            February 2, 2012

In our house, we love big words. We strive to learn new words. We try very hard to learn new words.  We play word games, and we challenge ourselves to use big words in our conversations. This letter will teach you a few big words as it teaches you about my favorite daughter, Payton.

Payton is very logical. One of my favorite stories to tell about her shows just how reasonable she is. One day, I told her  that Reid, her brother, was my favorite son and she was my favorite daughter. She thought for a moment and said, “No, Mama, I’m your favorite moon.” She thought I’d meant sun, not son. She used the facts she knew about the sky and concluded if Reid was my favorite sun, she must be my favorite moon. Now, she knows about homophones, or words that sound the same, but are spelled differently.

Payton is very wise. Recently, I was about to start a new yoga class. I was nervous about trying something new. Payton looked at me and sighed and said, “Oh, Mama, just go and meet new friends. That’s what us kids have to do!” She is so smart! So, that is just what I did!

Payton is extremely conscientious. She will always do the right thing, and she knows the right thing to do in most situations. Once we drove past a once wooded area that had been torn down and cleared away so new stores could be built there. Payton declared, “Mama, we are just going to have to call Barack Obama so he can do something about it and get all the animals’ homes back!”

Payton is very sentimental. Just before Christmas, Payton came up to me one night, stuck a bow on my shirt and announced, “Mama, you are my present this year!” She is so loving and thoughtful and makes sure to let all the people in her life know how much she cares for them.

Payton is the light that shines in my heart. Without her, my life would be very sullen. It would be dark and sad. I adore my favorite daughter Payton and am elated that I could share these stories with you. It makes all mothers happy to talk about their children, just as it makes your mothers happy to talk about you.

I hope you enjoyed the stories and I sincerely hope you learned a few new, big words!

Happy Learning to you!

Fondly,


Sherri Hope

2 comments:

  1. You light up my heart, Miss Hope. Truly and sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri, that's awesome! Can you write my stuff too?!

    ReplyDelete